LENS REHOUSING I Canon FD
Canon introduced the FD system in 1971 after using the FL and R systems on their early SLRs.
FD lenses are compatible with all FD bodies. One of the big improvements of the FD system, though, was automatic aperture stop-down.
Another big advantage of the FD system was its capacity for automatic exposure.
Over its two-decade production run, Canon introduced 134 different lenses for the FD system. These range from 7.5mm fisheyes to 1200mm ultra-telephotos. Older FD glass has become especially popular with cinematographers who claim that the lens’ construction and coatings resemble those of Canon’s famous K35 cinema lenses.
Whitepoint Optics was pioneering years ago by being the first company to replace the iris to the Canon FD project to get that round K35 bokeh. Today we offer wide range of customization including a more vintage shiny iris, a matte iris or a full maintenance for the original iris system.
We currently rehouse the following lenses
Lens Conversion Process
• Stainless steel PL mount
• Zero image shifting
• Cam Form Focus drive optimized for modern motors
• Unique robust aluminium construction
• Easy to collimate with shims
• 280-300 degree rotation
• Standard 110mm and 95mm front diameter
• Easy to service
Additional features on Request
• New round iris
• LPL, EF and E mounts
• Personalised engravings
• High visible UV markings
Frequently Asked Questions about Lens Rehousing
Shipping instructions inside EU:
To ensure the safe shipment of the lenses, please follow these instructions.
Package the lenses carefully, using individual small boxes for each lens and suitable filler material.Place all the individual boxes within a larger box filled with soft filler to protect them from any impacts during transit. Take all necessary precautions to ensure their proper protection.
Include the following details of our office manager, Katri Peltomäki, on the side of the package along with the address:
Attn: Katri Peltomäki
Phone: +358 40 625 9723
E-mail [email protected]
Note: Entrance via Teollisuuskatu
Shipping instructions outside the EU:
For customs purposes, please remember to provide the necessary information on the export documents when shipping outside the EU.
Include the following details:
- Clearly state that you are sending cine lenses with the serial number “xxxx” for temporary repair, with the intention of having them returned to you after completion.
- Include a proforma invoice that accurately states the value of the lenses individually. This value will be used when shipping them back to you after the repairs are finished.
- Please indicate the quantity of lenses, along with their individual values, as we are claiming them into the country using temporary inward processing. This signifies that they will be returned to the owner after the maintenance is complete.
Important information to include on the package:
- Description: Cine lenses for maintenance/repair
- Serial numbers: Please include the serial numbers of the lenses
- Value: You indicate the value of the contents with a proforma invoice
Please add the phone number and email address of our office manager Katri Peltomäki.
In lens rehousing, the client sends lenses to us for conversion. After conversion, the lenses can be used in cinematography and are compatible with modern cine accessories. In a typical case, the converted lenses are originally still camera optics, but we also rehouse vintage film lenses to be used with modern cinema equipment.
The client is responsible for the quality of the optical components. The client also takes care of postage fees, when sending lenses to us.
Payment terms are as follows:
- 25% of Grand Total to be paid as a deposit payment to reserve your slot. This is non-refundable.
- 25% of Grand Total is to be paid to order parts. (Approx 3 months before the production starts)
- 25% of Grand Total is to be paid when the production starts.
- 25% of Grand Total is to be paid on delivery. To start the delivery process, payments need to be 100% made.
- The conversion process begins once the first payment is received. WPO will be in contact during the conversion process on each stage.
- Lenses are sent to the client after the whole payment is 100% paid.
- All shipping costs at customers’ expense.
We can either deliver the whole batch or in smaller batches. Just let us know what the priority is and we can send lenses out as soon as they are finished. No need to wait for the whole set.
Unfortunately, we cannot source lenses for clients.
For a quote, please send us a message and we will get back to you with an offer. The conversion process begins once the first payment (25%) is received.
Unfortunately, we do not have a way of estimating shipping/import duties in advance. Once we know the size of the package, we can get an estimate of delivery charges. Duties are usually reasonable.
When shipping from outside of the EU:
In order to avoid extra duties, we are using shipping for a temporary repair.
- It is important to clearly indicate in the export documents that a customer is sending cine lenses with the serial number xxxx for a temporary repair, to be returned after completion.
- Included must be a proforma invoice to state the value of the lenses. This way we can ship lenses back after the work is done using the same proforma value.
- When we receive lenses here, we claim them into the country as temporary inward processing (meaning to be returned to the owner after maintenance is over).
It is important you have clearly stated the value of the content when shipping using a proforma document. We will return the lenses using the same proforma value you indicate.
Whitepoint Optics guarantees a 12 months warranty for rehoused lenses. Warranty does not cover misuse of goods, or using goods in a manner for which they are not intended. Warranty does not cover normal wear and tear or careless use of the goods.
We shall remedy defects if the warranty claim is valid and within the warranty period. It is at our decision whether we remedy the defect by repair or replacement.
We are however happy to help if an impact etc. happens. Please get in touch. In these cases, our hourly rate is 100 €/h (+ the cost of parts that need replacing).
Possibly! Please get in touch and we will see how we can help you with your request.
We do offer the possibility for personalized engravings and a range of colors for a stylish finish. We also offer dual high visible UV markings on request.
Ask also for enhanced close focus.
Customized engravings: Design setup fee 1200€ + 200€/lens
- Personalised logo
- Lens details text
- Special color on engravings (max. 2 colors from our color chart)
Cap engravings: Design setup fee 500€ + 50€/lens
We can also engrave other logos on request, but we can’t take any legal responsibility for using trademarked material.
We are able to engrave both in metric and imperial scales – it’s your choice. We can engrave additional scales also (for additional cost of 200€/lens).
For bulk/set discounts, please get in touch. We are here to help!
Due to shipping costs, rehousing a single lens is usually not very cost-effective. That is why we rehouse mostly whole lens sets. However, there are no technical barriers for rehousing a single lens. If you have a single lens that you want to be rehoused, contact us!
Unfortunately, no. In that process lenses will lose their individual vintage-look, and that is not what we or the customer wants. In a case of damaged lens, it is usually better to source a new lens.
We generally don’t supply cases to customers for two reasons:
- When it comes to lens case quality and design, the taste tends to be subjective. We have been trying to pinpoint one case manufacturer to fit for all, but haven’t found one.
- The actual measurements of each lens can vary anything from 2-6mm depending on the model of the lens. This means that to get the exact measurement we need to complete the lens before sending the dimensions to case manufacturer and this would delay the delivery process somewhat.
Of course! Our office and factory is located in Helsinki, Finland. Please get in touch, and we will organize a safe visit for you.